Get a Library Card
HOW TO GET YOUR LIBRARY CARD
- To obtain a card you will need to show a valid picture ID from a city, state, or government agency such as a driver’s license, military ID, or a passport.
- If your picture ID does not sA second piece of identification establishing residency by showing your current address will also be needed. Acceptable documents include a current utility bill, voter’s registration card, vehicle insurance card, or even your checks if they include your current address.
- Adult: Patrons aged 18 or older.
- Juvenile: Patrons under the age of 18. A parental signature is required to obtain a library card.
- Non-Residents who Work in RI: Non-residents must present a photo ID printed with their permanent address and a paystub to show that they work in RI. This card must be renewed annually by showing a new paystub each year and paying the fee.
Library users who have lost their card may apply for a new one by showing valid identification and paying a non-refundable $1.00 replacement charge; minors also must be accompanied by the parent or guardian listed as the responsible adult on the minor's card record. If a parent or guardian wishes to cancel a minor's card they must be listed as the responsible adult on the minor's card record.
If the first card is later found, it must be destroyed as it is no longer valid. Patrons should report lost or stolen cards as soon as possible. Library users are responsible for all materials checked out on their card up to the time that they report the card lost.