Portsmouth Historical Society
The Portsmouth Historical Society, incorporated in 1938, is a non-profit volunteer educational organization devoted to the preservation of Portsmouth’s historic buildings, sites, and artifacts.
The Portsmouth Historical Society has worked to preserve the Christian Union Church (1865) as its headquarters and museum by using grants from the Champlin Foundations. The outside of the building and the upstairs of the church are completed. The cataloging of items an the creation of exhibits using the various artifacts collected over the past 60 years is an ongoing process.
The Southermost School (1725) was moved to the Portsmouth Historical Society site in 1952. It has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places. The Old Town Hall (c. 1850) was moved to the Portsmouth Historical Society site in 1975.
For more information about Portsmouth Historical Society, check out their web site at http://portsmouthhistorical.com/about-phs/